Avoiding time_increment_bits problem when encoding bad header MPEG4 videos to Ogg Theora
January 28th 2010
There is some debate going on lately about the migration of YouTube to HTML5, and whether they (i.e. YouTube's owner, Google) should support H.264 or Theora as standard codecs for the upcoming <video> tag. See, for example, how the FSF asks for support for Theora.
The thing is, I discovered x264 not so long ago, and I thought it was a "free version" of H.264. I began using it to reencode the medium-to-low quality videos I keep (e.g., movies and series). The resulting quality/file size ratio stunned me. I could reencode most material downloaded from e.g. p2p sources to 2/3 of their size, keeping the copy indistinguishable from the original with the bare eye.
However, after realizing that x264 is just a free implementation of the proprietary H.264 codec, and in the wake of the H.264/Theora debate, I decided to give Ogg Theora a go. I expected a fair competitor to H.264, although still noticeably behind in quality/size ratio. And that I found. I for one do not care if I need a 10% larger file to attain the same quality, if it means using free formats, so I decided to adopt Theora for everyday reencoding.
After three paragraphs of introduction, let's get to the point. Which is that reencoding some files with ffmpeg2theora I would get the following error:
% ffmpeg2theora -i example_video.avi -o output.ogg [avi @ 0x22b7560]Something went wrong during header parsing, I will ignore it and try to continue anyway. [NULL @ 0x22b87f0]hmm, seems the headers are not complete, trying to guess time_increment_bits [NULL @ 0x22b87f0]my guess is 15 bits ;) [NULL @ 0x22b87f0]looks like this file was encoded with (divx4/(old)xvid/opendivx) -> forcing low_delay flag Input #0, avi, from 'example_video.avi': Metadata: Title : example_video.avi Duration: 00:44:46.18, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1093 kb/s Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 624x464, 23.98 tbr, 23.98 tbn, 23.98 tbc Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 32 kb/s . [mpeg4 @ 0x22b87f0]hmm, seems the headers are not complete, trying to guess time_increment_bits [mpeg4 @ 0x22b87f0]my guess is 16 bits ;) [mpeg4 @ 0x22b87f0]hmm, seems the headers are not complete, trying to guess time_increment_bits [mpeg4 @ 0x22b87f0]my guess is 16 bits ;) [mpeg4 @ 0x22b87f0]looks like this file was encoded with (divx4/(old)xvid/opendivx) -> forcing low_delay flag Last message repeated 1 times [mpeg4 @ 0x22b87f0]warning: first frame is no keyframe
I searched the web for solutions, but to no avail. Usually pasting literal errors in Google yields good results, but in this case I only found developer forums where this bug was discussed. What I haven't found is simple instructions on how to avoid it in practice.
Well, here it goes my simple solution: pass it through MEncoder first. Where the following fails:
the following succeeds:
% ffmpeg2theora -i filtered.avi -o output.ogg
I guess that what happens is basically that mencoder takes the "raw" video data in input.avi and makes a copy into filtered.avi (which ends up being exactly the same video), building sane headers in the process.Tags: about me, en, FLOSS, format war, google, howto, HTML, optimization, software, standards, support, video, YouTube
3 Comments »